Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Daring Fireball Quote of th e Day: Cult of ignorance

From Daring Fireball: Isaac Asimov: Cult of Ignorance
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge”.

I can't tell you where Asimov said this, as the person doing the quoting didn't give the attribution. Very likely he got it from somewhere else - I saw this a couple of days ago on a Flickr account, but surperimposed over a pic of Asimov himself - still without info on where it came from

Why is it important to know where it came from - the essay collection or the book?

Because it might not be from Asimov at all!

Yesterday, a blogger for the Los Angeles Times got in a dig at Sarah Palin, saying she'd credited basketball coach John Wooden for saying something he never said. But within the body of this snarky little article, the author did point out that *several* people have said Wooden said, what Palin quoted. So, gee, Palin found a quote she liked, saw that it was credited to John Wooden, and quoted it herself.

And now she's taking the flack because "she" misattributed it?

So, I'm sharing the quote here...but I'll be looking for it in my reading of Asimov, and I'll let you know what I find.

No comments:

Post a Comment