Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

The Immortal Storm, Pt 12

Asimov continues describing the first science fiction convention he attended, on pg 244 of In Memory Yet Green

The morning was an informal session where everyone introduced themselves to each other. I met Frank R. Paul, the famous science fiction illustrator, who was guest of honor. I also met such authors as Ross Rocklynne, Nelson S. Bond, Manly Wade Wellman, Harl Vincent, and John D. Clark. (Some I met only that one time and never again. Some became lifelong friendsa. It's impossible to tell in advance how it will turn out.)

There were some well-known fans such as Forry Ackerman, Jack Darrow, and Milt rothman. I met Mort Weisinger, the editor of Thrilling Wonder Stories, who had rejected everything of mine he had seen, but whom I had never met before.

Also present were people I had already met, such as [John] Campbell, [Charles] Hornig, [L. Sprague] de Camp and [Jack] Williamson.

At lunchtime I went out and joined the Futurians. They did not berate me for my treason. Rather, they considered me a spy in the enemy's camp, though what good it did them to have a spy, I couldn't say. I told them everything that had happened, then went back in. Leslie Parri, which was the name under which Pohl's girlfriend worked as a writer/illustrator, went in with me.

TO BE CONTINUED

___________________
ENCYCLOPEDIA ASIMOVA IS UPDATED ON MONDAY, WEDNESDAY AND FRIDAY
_______________
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR OTHER KINDLE BLOGS:
* Seaborn: Oceanography Blog
* Star Trek Report: Space Sciences
* Volcano Seven: Treasure and Treasure Hunters
* Rush Limbaugh Report

No comments:

Post a Comment