And how Asimov would have cringed to have seen today's Super Quiz - regarding not science in any way, shape or form but movies!
Yes, humanity can be saved with science and sanity.... and a detailed knowledge of movies. (Not that I begrudge film and tv fans their knowledge... but we are talking about a quiz posted under the Asimov imprimatur - we do not expect to see questions that have nothing to do with science.)
(e.g., The only film to win Best Picture without being nominated in any other major category. Answer: "Grand Hotel.")
1. What Best Picture winner had no female speaking roles?
2. Which actor appeared in 138 films before receiving an Oscar?
3. What 1935 film had three men nominated for Best Actor?
4. What film won the most Oscars (eight) without being named Best Picture?
5. Barry Fitzgerald was nominated for both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor in this film.
6. Name an actor who starred in Best Picture films two years in a row.
7. What film had 11 nominations for Oscars but won none?
8. Name a Best Supporting Actor winner who committed suicide.
9. What 1976 film won Best Actor, Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress?
ANSWERS: 1. "Lawrence of Arabia." 2. John Wayne. 3. "Mutiny on the Bounty." 4. "Cabaret." 5. "Going My Way." 6. Clark Gable, Walter Pidgeon or Russell Crowe. 7. "The Color Purple" or "The Turning Point." 8. George Sanders or Gig Young. 9. "Network."
18 points — congratulations, doctor; 15 to 17 points — honors graduate; 10 to 14 points — you're plenty smart, but no grind; 4 to 9 points — you really should hit the books harder; 1 point to 3 points — enroll in remedial courses immediately; 0 points — who reads the questions to you?