Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

The Immortal Storm pt 7

Asimov continues:

I attended almost every meeting of the Futurians thereafter, for a year or so. on Sunday, October 2, I was there and "had more fun than last time." After the heavy work of parliamentarian discussion, we relaxed by playing ping pong.

The third meeting, on October 16, was a disappointment. It was in Manhattan's far north, at 109th street. This was new territory to me and I managed to get lost. Some of the members were missing and contentiousness was setting in again, for Wollheim and Michel had already discovered after two meetings that the Futurians were not ideal and they wanted to re-organize. I myself had learned how to be contentious too, for as I said in my diary, "I opposed it like hell."

The Futurians were the occasion for my first argument with [John] Campbell. During my fourth visit to him, on September 28, I was, of course, filled to overflowing with the glories of the meeting and told him all about it and about the Futurian philosophy as expounded by Wollheim, the most articulate of the Futurians.

That was when I found out that Campbell was (my diary says) "a hidebound conservative." I argued with him but "was afraid to extend myself for fear of antagonizing him."

I went away distressed. The meeting had begun most promisingly, for he had said, "Hello, Mr. Asimov," and had shaken my hand as though he was meting an equal -- and then I went and argued with him.

___________________
ENCYCLOPEDIA ASIMOVA IS UPDATED ON MONDAY, WEDNESDAY AND FRIDAY

_______________
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR OTHER KINDLE BLOGS:
* Seaborn: Oceanography Blog
* Star Trek Report: Space Sciences
* Volcano Seven: Treasure and Treasure Hunters
* Rush Limbaugh Report

No comments:

Post a Comment