Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Immortal Storm pt 8

Asimov spends several pages telling about the viscitudes of his writing. After his first sale, "Marooned Off Vest," he kep getting rejections, in particular from John Campbell.

He continues his history of The Futurians on pg 225.
My monthly visits with the Futurians did not cheer me either. One and all, the Futurians had writing ambitions, and one and all had been writing. Almost all of them were going to make it in time; but they had not yet done so.

My own sale was the first, and I had been gleeful over it-a tactical error. Furthermore, most of the Futurians were high school dropouts and I was forging steadily ahead toward my degrees-another tactical error. At any rate, my happy relationship with them faded a bit.

Fredrik Pohl, aspiring writer and agent, was his clost friend in the Futurians.

A bit later, Asimov visited the rival sf club:
[After talking about more rejections] I had tried to reach Hornig of Science Fiction, and he had written to say that he was attending a meeting of the Queens Science Fiction League on May 7, and if I were to attend also, we might meet. This was the organization I might have joined the previous September, had I not been headed off by the Futurian splitaway.

I attended and met Hornig for the first time. He was dark-complexioned, needed a shave, and was a fellow-sufferer of acne. I seized the occasion to hand him two stories, "The Decline and Fall" and "Knossos in its Glory."

To be continued...

___________________
ENCYCLOPEDIA ASIMOVA IS UPDATED ON MONDAY, WEDNESDAY AND FRIDAY

_______________
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR OTHER KINDLE BLOGS:
* Seaborn: Oceanography Blog
* Star Trek Report: Space Sciences
* Volcano Seven: Treasure and Treasure Hunters
* Rush Limbaugh Report

No comments:

Post a Comment