Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

August 1960: Catskills in the Sky

Asimov shares this anecdote:

Once I received, as a gift, a record entitled "Space Songs." It was intended for my children and so I called them both to my record player and we listened. They liked it, but as it happened, I liked it even more than they did. Realizing, unlike Sir Philip Sydney, that my need was greater than theirs, I quietly added it to my own record collection and have listened to it periodically ever since.

Anyway, to get to the point, one of the songs on the record is entitled "Why Go Up There?" and the words are:

Why do we all want to be
up there - up there?
What is there to do or see
up there - up there?

Outer space
Is a place
Where we'll trace the future

There's a lot
Of who knows what
away - up there.

As you see, the reasons given to go up there are a bit vague, and I intend to correct that now."

And he goes on to list the reasons why we need to get out into space.



___________________
ENCYCLOPEDIA ASIMOVA IS UPDATED ON MONDAY, WEDNESDAY AND FRIDAY
_______________
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR OTHER KINDLE BLOGS:
* Seaborn: Oceanography Blog
* Star Trek Report: Space Sciences
* Volcano Seven: Treasure and Treasure Hunters
* Rush Limbaugh Report

No comments:

Post a Comment