Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

May 1961: Heaven on Earth

It would not be for another 4 months that Asimov would use another anecdote, in "Heaven on Earth."

"The nicest thing about writing these essays is the constant mental exercise it gives me. Unceasingly, I must keep my eyes and ears open for anything that will spark something that will, im my opinion, be of interest to the reader.

For instance, a letter arrived today, asking about the duodecimal system, where one counts by twelves rather than by tens, and this set up a mental chain reaction that ended in astronomy and, what's more, gave me a notion which, as far as I know, 12 has never been used as the base for a number system, except by mathematicians in play."

He then goes on to talk about numbering systems.


___________________
ENCYCLOPEDIA ASIMOVA IS UPDATED ON MONDAY, WEDNESDAY AND FRIDAY
_______________
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR OTHER KINDLE BLOGS:
* Seaborn: Oceanography Blog
* Star Trek Report: Space Sciences
* Volcano Seven: Treasure and Treasure Hunters
* Rush Limbaugh Report

No comments:

Post a Comment