Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Asimov and the Futurians pt 9

From The Futurians, by Damon Knight:

The fourth meeting was at Dick Wilson's house in Richmond Hill, Long Island, and again Asimov got lost, but by walking fast made it on time. ("Of cuorse, in those days walking wasn't dangerous," he commented.")

Wilson, a tall, spade-jawed young man, had a soft, almost purring voice. In his fan journalissm he could be cutting, but in person he was gentle.
You should see the collection Wilson got. About a hundred fifty science fiction magazines all the way back to the large-sizers, maybe even more, plus Weird Tales, Argosys, Doc Savages, etc., and also over two hundred science fiction novels. [In 1938???? I didn't think SF novels started until the 1950s. Ed.]

Jack Rubinson says he has a lot of back numbers he's anxious to get rid of, and that they are in good condition. He says he'll sell them two cents apiece, but I don't know if he's serious. I'll be down Saturday night to look them over. I told him about Amazing*.

*"I had just sold my first story," Asimov said. "On October 21, 1938, Amazing accepted Marooned Off Vesta," the third story I wrote. So that my fourth meeting of the Futurians was the first one I attended as a professional. And I told them, of course."

No comments:

Post a Comment